Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Sweden Wrap-Up

So it would be difficult to encapsulate my entire experience the past year and my body of thought on Swedish culture in one blog post. So I am going to cheat a bit and let someone else do it for me. The linked article is written by a professor at Lund University, which is about two and a half hours from where I was living. He is a British ex-pat who has been living there for a while and who's thoughts I have heard echoed by many of the other foreigners I have talked to. Bits of it are idealized, and perhaps exaggerated, but it is a good overview nontheless.

The past year, from a personal standpoint, was absolutely tremendous. Failings of my academic program aside, the experience of immersing myself in another culture was incredibly valuable. I've gained skills in cross-cultural communication, and understanding, worked for a Swedish municipality and made great friends. I am very thankful for the opportunity, and for the funding, provided by Rotary. I look back on the time fondly, and I think that it has helped prep me for the next stage as I transition to work, and possibly, more school.

No comments: